Ocean City, Maryland - Then & Now Lot 49 Part Two
The Edwin Z. Purnell Store
1914 - Present
1914 - Present
The Edwin Purnell Store circa 1990
Photograph by Paul B. Touart
Now in his mid-fifties, Edwin seemed content to live quietly and alone. He dabbled a bit in real estate, both in Ocean City and on the mainland, mostly lending money to others (he was always repaid), and, with the exception of his store on Talbot Street, seldom holding on to an investment for long. He acquired a furnished houseboat from Eugene Beauchamp in 1916, and when he wasn’t working he presumably spent his time aboard his floating home on the bay.
Edwin bailed out of the Atlantic Fish Company in 1917, selling his interest to the remaining partners. But a year later he joined with Charles H. Clarke, Jr., Charles Lee Parker and John R. Massey to form the “Isle of Wight Fish Company”, operating out of a building on the southwest corner of Baltimore Avenue and South 3rd Street that the men had purchased from William B. S. Powell and John H. Long. He was also briefly involved in 1919 with the Elliott brothers – William, John and Joseph – in their fish company. The Isle of Wight fish camp was later wiped out in the storm of August 1933 that formed the inlet.
The 1930 census report shows Edwin rooming with the widow Josephine Bowden, her granddaughter, also named Josephine, and two other boarders at Bowden’s house on Worcester Street. He stated that he had no occupation. Josephine Bowden reported that she was the owner and manager of a grocery store. It is possible that Edwin was no longer able to keep up with the daily demands of running his store on Talbot Street and had handed that responsibility over to Mrs. Bowden.
Edwin eventually developed diabetes, and in late February 1941 complications from the disease landed him in Peninsula General Hospital in Salisbury. While convalescing at the hospital he came to a curious conclusion – he was going to get married. This remarkable story appeared on the front page of The Salisbury Advertiser on March 7, 1941.
A pleasant-faced bride of less than a week kept vigil today at the bedside of her -year-old husband at Peninsula General Hospital where the couple were united in a wheelchair ceremony.
The bridegroom is Edwin Z. Purnell of Ocean City, retired from a career as coast guardsman. He was in service at the U.S. Coast Guard Station at Ocean City.
Mrs. Purnell is the former Josephine Campbell, also of Ocean City, former waitress, who now operates a resort rooming house. She is in her forties and is the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Asher Campbell of Ocean City.
Mr. Purnell was seated in a wheelchair during the ceremony, which was performed Monday afternoon by Dr. Thomas A. Williams, pastor of Wicomico Presbyterian Church in Salisbury.
Mrs. Purnell’s friend, Mrs. Clarence Carey, of Ocean City and Mr. Purnell’s lawyer, Franklyn Upshur, of Berlin stood in the hospital room during the ceremony. Mr. Purnell’s private nurse also was present.
Although too ill to be questioned, Mr. Purnell, who looks younger than his years, was eager to talk about reports of a Norwegian vessel reported in trouble of Maridel Beach in Ocean City [the freighter “Olaf Bergh”].
“Oh, yes, I know exactly where that is,” he said, recalling to himself his own experience in aiding lost boats and seamen.
We have met Miss Josephine Campbell before, in the story of the lot on the southwest corner of Baltimore Avenue and Wicomico Street (lot 45). Josephine came to Ocean City with her mother around 1925. It would be fascinating to learn how and when she met Edwin. Perhaps he had dined at the restaurant where she worked as a waitress, or she had met him while shopping at his store, or maybe he had taken a room at her lodging establishment. Most likely we will never know that story, or how it was that Edwin, in failing health, decided to take Josephine as his wife.
Less than two months after the wedding, Edwin re-titled the store on Talbot Street in both of their names. It isn’t known exactly when Edwin died, but Josephine was a widow by 1946. She rented out the first floor of Edwin’s store to various commercial tenants, including Kitty’s Apparel during the 1950s, and accommodated summertime guests in the second floor apartments. Josephine sold the building in 1969 to Philadelphians Fay and Leon Kramer for $50,000.
The store on the southern half of lot 49 remained in the Lynch family until 1962 when John and Ruth Lynch sold it to W. Preston Laws. Laws had operated his grocery store out of one part of the building since 1919. In the 1940s Doris and Lester Wise opened the Knotty Pine Restaurant, a popular downtown eatery, in the other part of the building. Albert Wells and Linwood Hitch bought the building from Laws in 1973.
Board's Edge Village Condominium
|<<<< Previous Entry: Ocean City, Maryland - Then & Now Lots 4,5,27 and 28||OPEN PRINT VERSION||RETURN TO MAIN MENU||Next Entry: Ocean City Maryland - Then & Now - Lot 49 >>>>|