Boardwalk Hotels and Businesses - Online Exhibit
Browse the Boardwalk and walk down memory lane with this online postcard image exhibit.
Originally built in 1875 by the Atlantic Hotel Corporation, it was considered Ocean City's grandest hotel. This building burned in 1925 and was replaced by a larger, more modern building of the same name. The hotel is still owned and operated by the Purnell Family.
Baltimorean - North First Street
Beachway Apts - 2nd Street
The Breakers Hotel on the Boardwalk at 3rd Street
The Casino Theater at Worcester Street and the Boardwalk
The United States Life-Saving Station was located on Caroline Street (above) and became The US Coast Guard Station in 1915 (below). The building was moved in December 1977 to its present location at the Inlet where it now houses a museum.
The original Colonial Hotel, shown in 1915, was located between First and Second Streets on the Boardwalk
The Commander Hotel located on 14th Street was owned and operated by the Lynch Family. When it was built in 1930, it was considered by locals to be "up the beach" at the extreme north end of town. It was torn down 1997.
Del-Mar - N. Division Street
Dolles - 500 South Atlantic Avenue (Boardwalk)
Edward's Five and Ten
The Friendly Gift Shop
The George Washington Hotel was located on 10th Street.
The Hamilton Hotel, was built around 1900 and was located on Third Street and the Boardwalk. It was noted for its fine cuisine: the highlight of the week was Sunday supper, when the menu consisted of broiled chicken and waffles. Meals were enhanced by orchestra music which flowed from the music room.
Harrison Hall - 15th Street
Hastings Miramar Hotel was located between 2nd and 3rd Streets. The Hastings was built by Josephine Hastings and later became the property of Willye Jones Conner Ludlam. It was demolished in 1975 to increase parking facilities in the area.
Hess Apparel - 9th Street
Holiday House - 8th Street
The Idylwild on First Street
Jackson's Casino between 9th and 10th Streets on the Boardwalk
Jester's Souvenir and Confectionery and Lunch - the Pier Building
Kaye Hotel - 6th Street (possibly renamed to Normandy)
The LaGrande Hotel was located 13th Street.
The old Catholic Home was remodeled to The LaGrande Hotel in 1948. The building was one of the first to be built on the island. Built at 13th Street the building was considered "way out of town" during the 1940's and early 1950's. It was later renamed the Broadripple and torn down in 2007.
Lambros Apartments 405-407 North Boardwalk was owned by Margaret Lambros.
Lankford -8th Street - owners Mr. & Mrs. J. Warren Frame
The Liberty Farms Hotel (above) on 7th Street became the Majestic Hotel(below)and is still standing in 2008.
The Linmar Hotel
Maryland Inn - Caroline Street
Mayflower Hotel - 12th Street
The Mount Pleasant Hotel was located on the Boardwalk between North Division and First Streets. Built in 1900 by Margaret Campbell Buell, the hotel saw several different owners throughout its sixty-year history. In the early 1970's the hotel burned to the ground.
Nordica Hotel was located at Talbot Street and the Boardwalk
Hotel Normandy was located on 6th Street.
Ocean Park Motel - Boardwalk at 17th Street
Phillips Beach Plaza and Bo Con Apartments on 13th Street
Plimhimmon on 2nd Street was owned by Rosalie Tilghman Shreve, a widow with children to support, came to the village during the summer months and ran the Goldsborough cottage. Finding this venture successful and prosperous, she built in 1894 the Plimhimmon. The Plimhimmon burned down in 1962 and was rebuilt as the Plim Plaza which is still standing today.
The Purnell Hotel located at 205 North Boardwalk and was run by Mr. & Mrs. John Hodkinson.
Quality Inn Boardwalk at 17th Street
Rideau - between North Division and First Street
The Roosevelt Hotel - North Division Street - 1955 owners Mr. & Mrs. Elwood Fleming
The Royalton - 11th Street
Sandyhill Motel at 18th Street started as three cottages before 1933. Three more cottages were added and later the cottages were raised up. Six more cottages were added under the first six cottages. These were torn down to make way for the Motel. The Sandy Hill Motel opened in the summer of 1958 was sold in December of 1986.
Santa Maria - 15th Street
Seabonay Motel 28th Street
Sea Scape Motel at 16th Street
Shoreham Hotel 4th Street
Showell's Swimming Pool
Stephen Decatur Hotel & Apts - 12th Street
The Stowaway - 22nd Street
Surf & Sands Motel 22nd to 23rd Streets opened on Memorial Weekend 1955 and closed October 1998.
Thrashers fries and Dumsers Ice Cream
The Tidelands Motel was located at 409 North Boardwalk.
Wetipquin Hall next to the Hasting Hotel between 2nd and 3rd Streets on the Boardwalk
|<<<< Previous Entry: Little Keepers Day Room/Play Room||OPEN PRINT VERSION||RETURN TO MAIN MENU|